Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gnome 2.32 in OpenSuse 12.1

I've been using Gnome 2.32 in Linux Mint 11 and OpenSUSE 11.4 and it is absolutely necessary that it stays in this openSUSE 12.1 and 12.2. Gnome 2.32 is stable and Gnome 3 crashes so I don't want that option. KDE 4.7 would be a much more stable desktop than Gnome 3. A lot of people including me don't like going backwards.

openSUSE 11.1 had both KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.1.3, remember? The SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 better not have only Gnome 3.1 in it. What a disaster in the making! Fedora 15 Gnome experience was supposed to be awfully unstable.

2 comments:

  1. I've been using Fedora 15 since its (very stable) beta release and have had absolutely no problems with it and I sure don't understand where you are getting your information about Gnome 3 crashes. It has thus far been more stable than Gnome 2.32 was for me in Ubuntu 10.10 where there always seemed to be anomalies in the toolbar as various resources raced for the space. Although I do plan to try Opensuse because of Tumbleweed, having used kde, Gnome 2.32, Unity, and Gnome 3, I believe they are absolutely making the right move in shifting to Gnome 3. Although it did take some getting used to, I can find and open things in Gnome 3 before you get to your first drop down window in 2.32. As the saying goes. EEf you have not tried eet, do not knock eet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gnome 3 on forums

    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=263431

    http://crantila.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/gnome-3-may-not-be-designed-for-you/

    ReplyDelete