Friday, May 25, 2012

Upgraded to Linux Mint 13 on my laptop!!!


My Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon desktop based on Gnome 3.4.0
Linux Mint 12 crashed.  Linux Mint 13 had some problems, but I added a boot option via directions on the Linux Mint homepage.  Cinnamon has a good conservative approach. I get the 3.2 linux kernel. This kernel release fixed some stalling in Linux Mint 11.  My favorite Gnome hardware detection utility is back.   Cinnamon is a front end for Gnome 3.x which further improves the Gnome 3 interface. It needs hardware acceleration so old PCs run Linux Mint 13 MATE, a project that continues where Gnome 2.32.2 ended. This system may be better than openSUSE 12.1 (with KDE, Gnome, LXDE and XFCE shells) , because it comes with codecs built in and is based on Debian/Ubuntu and not RPM. Deb packages don't have as many dependency issues as RPM package manager.   Mark Zuckerberg used Debian when he developed Facebook.  We're living in a FreeBSD world now where Red Hat Enterprise Linux is inferior.

I like Libreoffice 3.5.2 already installed. I can now read Visio files. My fast quad-core laptop doesn't like its kernel upgraded and creates a black screen when I attempt this. My other Linux Mint 11 laptop takes 3.3.7 kernel upgrades.

Linux Mint may not  be as secure as PC-BSD, but it works.  The GRUB boot loader recognizes my PC-BSD 9.0 partition and boots fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment