Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Update OS day Episode IV: Why not?
OpenSuse 11.2 Milestone 7, KDE 4.3.1, Gnome 2.28.1 Linux kernel 2.6.31 RC9
Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
Puppy Linux 4.3 beta 3, Linux Kernel 2.6.30
Even I know about PS3 firmware ;) Cos I'm just that smart!
I thought why not?...the Linux apocalypse is over since Update OS day episode III earlier this year. Isn't KDE, 4.3.1 a looker! There are bugs, for example I had to install Nvidia drivers. I got Computer Garage to download me the latest Milestone for $15. The final version comes out Nov. 15. At last, GRUB has EXT4 support so the bootup process can be in EXT4. In Fedora 11 [since May], it used ancient EXT3 file system for bootup. I also have Gnome 2.28 installed. Episode V should be around November 15, 2009.
Some annoying bugs [for my reference]
* grub and bootsplash still use 11.1 artwork
* HAL may crash, leaving XOrg without keyboard and mouse (Bug #537452), work-around: update with 'hal' package from Base:System
* License information on install is displayed in German (Bug #533026)
* GNOME live system asks for root password to mount file system (Bug #537343), work-around: just "Cancel"
* GNOME YaST Control Center cannot be started (Bug #537470), work-around: zypper in yast2-qt;yast2 --qt
* The PackageKit permanently requires authentication (Bug #538353), work-around: just "Cancel"
* Intel 4965 wireless is completely broken (Bug #537112)