Friday, March 31, 2006

Wikipedia on DVD-9 soon

Wikipedia (the GNU encyclopedia) is in the process of making it’s first DVD. This has everything on their servers, but it's not released yet. Will be at least 8.3 GB data /w some jpeg, pngs, and php files.

Some of the PNGs downsized to JPEG thumbnails get really big. 40k for a tiny thumbnail! That's because the jpeg encoder on wikipedia has awful compression. The only way it's not awful is when it's resizing jpeg images. People on there only care about pixel size. The images are normally slighty bigger then what a thumbnail should be.

I downloaded Suse Linux 10.1 beta 8, but the installation froze at the beginning of Disc 2 on my Hellcat forcing me to stay with Suse Linux 10.0 instead. The CDs have the bleeding edge open source software including the latest Linux kernel (OS engine), KDE 3.5.1 (user interface), and any March 2k6 software available. Something was up (wrong) with the helix engine in amaroK 1.3 and it didn’t play music at all. The pro helix engine is messed up and I don’t know how to install Gstreamer! Fortunately that’s the only thing wrong with Suse 10.0. The 32-bit OSS edition may work okay. I also downloaded Ark Linux CD with KDE 3.5.1 and 2.6.17 kernel.

I can’t ignore Square-Enix even if I tried. That’s like ignoring Microsoft.

PS2 games I might buy (tight budget)

- Atelier Iris 2
- Kingdom Hearts 2

I wonder if my only friend Randy will make it over tomorrow so I can have a player 2. I would like a girlfriend, but I won’t go searching for one. Way too interested in the internet, videogames, and myself.

Oh yeah, and I watched the Bridge Too Far DVD shortly after it was on American Movie Classics channel because I wanted to see a war movie. All was good

No comments:

Post a Comment