Friday, January 28, 2005

A new beginning for an ex-online gamer?

I find out that I don’t need to go to school unless I need help. 100% of my school work is done via email attachments. For the command prompt, I did some cut and paste in MS Paint so the screenshots would appear they’ve been taken off a networked PC, so the truth is it was much faster to cheat than making a network just so I could make a screenshot. I’m completed assignments 1 and 2 of my first obligated class, technical writing, which I’ve posted online. The Documents. My brain was tired afterwards, but I continued on because I had to make room for Chapter 3 in Visual Basic text book. They ask me too post code, and they somehow put it in context, but I must comprehend the book’s technical sentences. The teacher who taught the class offered her time if I chose to drive in. I’m stuck on chapter 3 of ten chapters, and can’t stop me. I shall triumph Visual Basic, and the day shall come I’ll pass this damn course. I am smart enough to pass Visual Basic – really I am. You’ll see!





It’s been close to two weeks since I last bought a videogame, so I bought Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance II for $19.95 and World of Warcraft for $50. All I have to do is convince someone with a credit card (not me) to pay for the monthly fee in order to connect to the servers. It can be done, but would that money is better spent on other software? It is true that not all games require the gamer to pay monthly costs. I have done the same exact thing when I bought Final Fantasy XI and Anarchy Online except now I heard a rumor that Anarchy Online is free. WoW received a 9.5 at IGN.com and 9.1 from Game Informer Magazine which was part of the reason why I bought it. The only complaint the editors had was the low polygon count but the textures are indeed top notch. It shouldn’t be an issue.

Which is why console games are so attractive – just turn the power button on and play the game. I am beginning to wonder if I am afraid to play PC games. It’s been so long since I played one. I am dedicated at buying new games, but I have never play long enough to get the satisfaction out of the games I have bought. I am beginning to worry if it’s my fault I invest in something that I don’t enjoy. I can’t feel regret since that’ll keep me from buying any software at all! I do have a lot of games for old consoles, and ALL games get old some time. That’s why the Internet calls them died games. I don’t know what you call a game that’s “dead” which you’re playing currently? I heard some Internet sites call dead freeware games….abandonware? Shall I call any dead game “Abandonware” now!?! Abandonware games can be expensive especially if it’s rare find. A good example is when I bought Suikoden for a full $50. In the case of Suikoden verses Suikoden IV, the truth is I picked an old game over a new game that cost the same. I normally wouldn’t do that except if the score was very, very high in case of Suikoden (1996) from Konami. I’ve done my part in purchasing some old school videogames. In 2 years my N64 and Playstation games will be considered old school. My point is every 2 generations backwards is considered old school in my opinion. That’s 1978 – 2000 everyone, and that time is approaching quickly.

It looks like we’re getting satellite Internet from the phone company for us rural Wisconsinites. $60 for 1.1 Mpbs Internet all for myself 90% of the time! The modem will be in my office somewhere. Electricians are going to now string CATEGORY 6 RJ-45 straight-through cable throughout my place.

Okay, I’ll talk about me now. I’ve been working on my homework every other day. Exhausting work you know – spell check and writing near perfect takes 5 – 6 hours of brain work, and have been trying to write the grammar perfected assignment. I hadn’t mentioned that the Linux assignment I’ve aced.

I had an interesting conversation with admin. Admin’s the administrator at Cartharton Electronica. Gamers don’t read reviews from neither the Internet nor magazines – casual gamers buy games at random he says. I have a feeling that what he says is true, but I can’t help but think of how many bad games I’ve avoided by reading reviews? It’s true that a game is only supposed to pass the time. I find it more than that – a game must be a satisfying experience and not any average game. I find his explaining more about purchasing good software by luck more than anything else? I don’t see it his way. Since 1999, I’ve been reading IGN’s game reviews like crap on a goose.

I’m tired – goodnight Bloggers – ‘till next time, and there will be a next time.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there Ian's Smashing Good Blog Site, I was just browsing, looking for games related blogs and found yours. Very Nice! As a parent myself, if you have kids who love to play games online, here's a WIN WIN deal! RealArcade GamePass has a 30-Day FREE TRIAL with 350+ popular Action, Puzzle & Word games that are 100% safe and secure. No commitment, cancel anytime. Just go to kid online game to register and find out about more great benefits! HAVE FUN :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog! This is my new favorite, you took over my previous favorite site: bios mod

    ReplyDelete
  3. video card overclockingApril 16, 2006 at 5:09 PM

    Hey,

    Your site is looking Pretty good. I like it.

    I have a new site that focuses on Tech Reviews, RMA Reviews, and more.

    You should check it out.

    ##Link## Reviews

    Ciao,

    Ravi

    ReplyDelete